Fashion Forward: Elliot Garnaut’s Essential Style Tips
Known for his sassy, irreverent take on fashion and his playfully chic Instagram feed – envisage Gucci loafers paired with island-hopping in Greece – Elliot Garnaut is one fashion stylist worth knowing about. Never afraid to break the rules, Elliot’s bold, imaginative wardrobe collection has earned him serious sartorial cred.
As Chadstone’s official stylist (the fashion capital of Melbourne), Elliot has styled (and is BFF) to some of the biggest names on the scene – think Rozalia Russian, Nadia Fairfax and Kate Waterhouse, to name a few – Elliot is well-versed in the world of fashion, and an expert when it comes to pulling together the perfect outfit. We were lucky enough to sit down with the celebrated fashion guru and to talk wardrobe staples, investment pieces and summer trends.
Splurge vs. save?
- Budget on seasonal pieces. Anything that will be ‘out-of-Vogue’ this time next year I advise buying from a Hight St retailer. Investing a bit of time on the floor of HM or Zara you will find some seriously amazing trend focused pieces that will not break the bank.
- Spurge on timeless classics that you will wear for years to come – thinks like a Burberry Mac, Louis Vuitton overnight bags and travel cases, classic pumps from Manolo Blahnik. These items will live in your wardrobe for years to come.
5 wardrobe staples you should never be without?
- A great pair of jeans. This could be black, indigo or a pail blue wash – whatever you know you’ll live in and is flattering to your figure.
- The perfect black blazer. A timeless classic, every wardrobe needs one.
- The double-breasted winter coat. Two if you can fit, one in camel and one in black to elevate any look in the fall/winter season.
- The RIGHT trainers. A pair that will take you from day to night. My pick is the Adidas Gazelle.
- An investment spurge piece. A beautiful watch, such as a Rolex Datejust or an Iconic bag, such as the Chanel 2.55.
How to team designer with High Street?
Mix and match your accessories with High St ready-to-wear. The best way to achieve the perfect shop for designer accessories. Spend that bit extra on the bag, the shoes, the wallet, the sunglasses. Team these pieces with the graphic tee from Zara and the Nobody Denim jeans.
Favourite trends?At the moment, the misshapen micro bag. They are sticking around season after season and they add a great contemporary edge to any look, day or night. My current pick is the Jacquemus mini-logo tote.
Go-to designer stores?Sneakerboy is my absolute pick at the moment. I shop in store religiously for Balenciaga and Prada ready-to-wear as well as a great selection of limited-edition kicks. I also spend some $$$ in Louis Vuitton, Off-White, Gucci and of course Harrolds.
Go-to high street stores?
I am a big HM fan. I love their interpretation on runway trends. I can never walk out with less than 5-10 items!! They also make fantastic gym gear.
What’s hot this spring/summer?
We’re seeing a lot of safari silhouettes this spring/summer which I am so here for. Nothing says killer summer look that a bit of Nigel Thornberry realness. Zimmermann is making some fantastic separates of this caliber for women, and the P Johnson Tailors ready-to-wear is doing the same for the sartorial man.
Key summer style tips?
Invest in great quality linen separates. You want pieces that are sharp enough to take you from beach to bar. Brands like Venroy are the one stop shop for the perfect summer wardrobe.
How to mix print, pattern and colour?
Don’t be afraid. This decade we have seen such a keen resurgence of inspiration from the 70s and 80s – decades known for their decadence. Layer it on, and rock the look with confidence. My only tip would be that consistency is key. Mix animal prints together, variations on pinstripe together, that kind of thing. We don’t want to look like we’re heading off to the Circus…
Go-to store you always recommend to clients?
I am a passionate supporter of Australian designers in my work. I love to work with/refer clients to brands such as Maticevski, Ellery, Dion Lee, Zimmermann, Camilla & Marc, Aje and Viktoria and Woods.
One piece that will finish off any outfit?
A great pair of designer slides. I’ve personally just purchased the Balenciaga logo slides.
One style tip/rule you tell all your clients?
Fit is everything. If an outfit fits you well, it will instantly elevate even the cheapest of garments. If need be – invest in alterations!