From serums and masks, to night creams and scrubs, the beauty world is a minefield. With so many different products and advice out there, it is super tricky to figure out what you need to do for your skin and whether you are doing the right thing.
To help you get your self-care routine down-pat we chatted with Mykaela Najm, the product trainer at Aussie beauty fave Sukin, and asked her everything we have been wanting to know about skin care. By the end of this article, you will have the beauty-power to lock down the best skin care routine, fully personalised for your skin.
How do I start to build a skin care routine?
The best way to kick start your beauty routine build, is being aware of your skin type. Is it normal, combination, dry or oily? The second most important thing is to then address your skin concerns. Are you worried about a dull complexion, breakouts or dehydration? Once you identify these factors selecting the appropriate products will seem less daunting.
If you are just starting to build a routine, start off quite simple with a cleanser, toner and moisturiser. As you become more confident or your needs change start to add additional products like exfoliants, serums and masks.
How do I know what skin type I am?
When looking at our complexion to determine skin types it is important to ask yourself the following questions:
- How does my skin feel?
- Is it tight, supple or in between?
- How does my skin look?
- Is there a large amount of oil across the whole face?
- Is there almost no oil?
Asking yourself these questions will help you determine whether you have an oily, dry or combination/normal skin type, and then inform the how you will create the best skin care routine for your skin. It can be overwhelming to know where to start with your skin, that’s why Sukin's online skin quiz is a big help! It has been developed with targeted questions to assist in helping you discover your skin type and will recommend a customised skin care ritual to suit you.
What are your top tips & tricks for each skin type?
Knowing some key tips on how to best utilise your skin care products can mean the difference between having clean skin vs radiant skin, and will help you create the best skincare routine for your skin.
Skin Care Routine: Dry Skin
Choose products that contain nourishing oils to replenish the low levels in the skin. When selecting a cleanser choose a cream-based cleanser; this will provide much-needed moisture to a dry complexion whilst still removing dirt and impurities. Finally, if you still feel your skin is in need of some extra TLC, add a couple of drops of rosehip oil to your night moisturiser for an extra boost of nourishment to replenish that complexion.
Skin Care Routine: Oily Skin
It is important to ensure you are balancing the oils in our skin. The key phrase being balance and not strip! Oil plays an important role in protecting our skin, so when it is removed (stripped) the skin is prompted to produce more oil. A great way to ensure oil harmony across the face is to use a gentle foaming cleanser, which ensures that excess dirt and oils are washed away from the skin but doesn’t completely strip and irritate our face. Finally, it is important to use a lightweight moisturiser to lock in natural hydration and help prevent dehydration. Look for ones that contain mattifying ingredients to help limit shine across the complexion.
Skin Care Routine: Combination/Normal Skin
Having a combination skin type can feel like an impossible balancing act. Do you use a product to treat the oily areas or do you use a product to treat the areas that feel dry? It can be tricky to navigate but definitely can be managed with success. When rinsing products off the skin make sure you don’t use water that is too hot, as heat will dehydrate the skin. Use a gentle gel-based cleanser, this will lightly remove excess oils but still leave some moisture for the skin. Embrace the power of multi-masking! Don’t be afraid to use one mask to balance oil flow and another mask to hydrate another area of the face. Think of multi-masking as a way to further tailor your skin care to suit your needs.
But hang on, what does each product do?
There are so many amazing skin care products available to buy now that ensures limitless options when selecting products to build a routine. But, this level of choice can be overwhelming. It helps to know what the main action of a product is when determining if it will work with your skin needs.
- Cleansers: The main role of a cleaner is to remove dirt, impurities and/or makeup.
- Toner: A toner can be used to either refresh the face throughout the day or to help remove any left-over dirt, makeup or cleanser post-cleanse.
- Exfoliant: An exfoliant helps to remove dead skin cells that sit on the surface of the skin. When used correctly, an exfoliant helps to promote a fresh appearance. It’s important to note that most skin types should only exfoliate once to twice a week.
- Serums: A serum is usually a lightweight formula rich in concentrated actives.
- Oils & Elixirs: An oil or elixir is used to provide nourishment to parched skin. It can be applied either by gently pressing into the skin or added to a moisturiser for a hydrating boost.
- Moisturisers: These are designed to help lock in our natural levels of hydration and aid in reducing the prevalence of dehydration due to environmental factors.
- Masks: A face mask is a great addition to your skin care routine. Not only does it provide antioxidant-rich ingredients to the skin, it also instils a little relaxation and self-care, whilst leaving the skin feeling fresh and dewy. Perfect to plump the skin before a special event or date night.